ONGC WORKERS’ UNION
- Name :- The name of the Union will be ONGC Workers’ Union, hereinafter referred to as the “Union”.
- Office :- The Office of the Union is at 3rd floor, Lakshminarayan Jewellery Stores, Hariganga Basak Road,Agartala. Any change in the address of the office of the Union will be duly notified to all concerned including the Registrar of the Trade Unions, Tripura within 14 days from the date which the change takes place.
- Objects:- The objects of the Union shall be as follows:-
- To secure an effective and complete organization of the employees working in the different offices/Drill sites/Workshops or at any other places in the Tripura State.
- To establish a better understanding and cooperation between the employees and the employers.
- To promote and to project the rights and interests, of the employees and matters social, political, economic and cultural.
- To safeguard the rights and interests of the employees, members of the Union, to regulate the relations between the labour capital and where differences arises to settle them by amicable means and only to last resort by strikes.
- To make all efficient conduct and speedy and satisfactory conclusion of the strikes and to provide against lock-outs, lay-offs and closure by the employers.
- To participate in the regulation of the economic life of the country and labour in fixing the wages rates, working hours, permanency of services etc. and other allied service conditions and of unemployment old age and other social insurances.
- To provide for members libraries, night schools, clubs and institution for promoting cultural activities and a benefit fund providing financial assistance to the members.
- To make arrangement for the prosecution or defense of any legal proceeding to which the Union or any of its members may be party for the purpose of securing or protecting any right of the Union as such or any right arising out of the relations of the member with his employer.
- To affiliate or be affiliated to other institutions connected with workers of similar nature having the kindred objects.
- To form a confederation or be a member of a federation formed in an all India basis having kindred objects and nature of service. And to form branch union in any Project/Region/Work Centre of ONGC.
- Any worker employed in the ONGC in the State of Tripura and above the age of 15 years, irrespective of caste creed, race or sex or religion is eligible for ordinary membership of the Union by abiding by the rules and constitution of the Union.
- An ordinary member shall have to pay monthly subscription of Re. 1/- and Re. 1/- as admission fee. Failures to pay Monthly subscriptions for three moths consecutively will forefeet all rights and privileges of a member. Such a member can only be re-admitted on payment of all his arrears or on payment of fine that may be imposed upon him by the Executive Committee.
- Person not eligible to be an ordinary member but who is in sympathy with the objects of the Union may be Co-opted if necessary in the Annual General Meeting as an Honorary member to serve in the Executive Committee, provided he agrees to abide by the rules and constitution of the Union. The number of such honorary members shall not exceed one fourth of the Executive Committee members.
5. Membership Register :
The Union shall maintain a complete general Register of the names of the members stating age, address etc. including the names of the honorary members. The register shall be open for inspection by any member of office of the Union during the office hours of the Union.
6. Benefit Fund :
No member shall be entitled to any benefit that may be given to its members by the Union unless his name is on the roll for at least six months.
7. General Council :
The general council shall be the supreme body and depository of supreme power of the Union and all powers including the residuary powers shall vest with the General Council. The General Council may however, delegate any or some of its powers to any other committee or sub-committee if it so desires.
The General Council shall consist of elected representatives from amongst the ordinary members of the Union in the manner prescribed hereunder and the honorary member, if any, provided under clause 4(c) of these rules.
The General Council members shall be elected on constituency basis at the rate of 1 member for each block of 10 members or fraction of 5 members thereof. Each section/workshop/drillsite of the Project shall form a constituency for the purpose of election of members of the General Council. Every constituency shall have at least one member.
Executive Committee :
a) Subject to the control of General Council the Executive Committee shall be responsible collectively to the General Council and shall carry on all affairs of administration and the members of such Executive Committee will not more than 37 and not less than 15 in numbers including honorary / co-opted members. The committee will further elect office bearers amongst themselves consisting of (1) President, (2) Vice Presidents, (3) General Secretary, (4) Joint Secretary, (5) Treasurer (6) Office Secretary (7) Organizing Secretaries.
- The Executive Committee shall be elected from amongst the members of the General Council and the members of the said Committee shall, unless removed by death or found incompetent or hostile to the interest of the Union, hold office until the next election of office bearers. Any vacancy in the Executive Committee will be filled in by Co-option by the Executive Committee. All the members of the Executive Committee shall be above the age of 18 years.
b) The Executive Committee will meet at least once in a month and one third of the members present shall form the quoram.
c) Any member of the Executive Committee going against the interest of the Union may be removed or replaced by a new one, subject to the decision of the Executive Committee.
- The place and time of such a meeting shall be determined by the General Secretary or President of the Union or the requisitionists when requisition meeting is summoned by them. The General Sectary shall ordinarily call all meetings by any 2/3rd members of the Executive Committee may requisition the meeting of the Executive Committee and General Secretary shall summon the same within seven days of receipt of the requisition, failing which the President or the requisitionists may do so, provided no business other that specified in the notice shall be transacted at such meetings.
- Any branch Union is set up/affiliated with the Union in other than Tripura Project and with in ONGC, its Secretary(s0 shall automatically be included in the Executive Committee by virtue of holding the port folio in addition to 45 executive committee members prescribed under sub clause – 7(a).
Notice & Quorum :
Seven days’ notice of the meeting specifying the place, date, time and the general nature to every member of the Executive Committee shall be given. Emergency meetings may be called at 3 days’ notice. 2/3rd personnel present shall constitute a quorum for the meeting and if a quorum is not formed within 3 minutes of the scheduled time, the members present shall adjourn the meeting. An adjourned meeting will require to form quorum.
Procedure of the Meeting :
The President or in his absence a Vice-President shall preside over the Executive Committee meetings. In the absence of the President or Vice-President a meeting shall elect its own Chairman. A person presiding a meeting shall in addition to his own vote, have a casting vote in case of a tie of votes on any resolution.
The terms of office of the members of the Executive Committee including the President, the General Secretary and other office bearers of the Union will be the period of beginning from the annual general meeting in which they are elected ending in the next annual general meeting. The outgoing committee will hand over the charge within 15 days from the date of the annual general meeting.
Verbal voting is allowed in the meeting of the Executive Committee.
The rules and the constitution of the annual general meeting may be rescinded, modified or otherwise amended by a meeting of the General body specially called for the purpose by a bare majority of votes.
- The General Funds of the Union shall not be spent on objects other than those mentioned in section 15 of the Indian Trade Union Act, 1926.
- The funds of the Union shall be deposited with a Bank or in approved Bank or in approved securities in the name of the Union.
- All cheques receipts, forms and other papers in relation to the deposit or withdrawal of money or securities shall be signed by General Secretary and the Treasurer jointly or individually.
- In order to meet the current expenses of the Union the General Secretary and the Treasurer shall be authorized to keep upto Rs.200/-(Rupees two hundred) only at a time each. All the expenditure will be incurred after duly authorized by the Secretary. All such expenditure has to be got approved by the Executive Committee in the next meeting.
- All the books of accounts shall be open to inspection by any member of the Union during the office hours of the Union on any date by applying in writing for the same to the General Secretary at least two days before.
- The accounting year will be from 1st January to 31st December of every year.
10. Function of the General Secretary:
- The General Secretary shall arrange and shall be responsible for the proper maintenance of the different books of the Union.
- The accounts of the Union will be audited every year soon after the 31st Dec. in the manner prescribed by the Tripura Trade Union Regulations, 1952 and the General Secretary shall, thereafter on behalf of the Executive Committee, arrange for the preparation and submission to the Registrar, Tripura of the Annual Return Prescribed Under section 28 of the Indian Trade Union Act, 1926 by the 31st March each year.
- The General Secretary shall have the Powers to call the meetings of the Executive Committee and of the General Members of the Union. In his absence, the President shall call the meetings.
11. Annual General Conference :
- Every year soon after 31st December, Annual General Conference will be held by the outgoing office bearers and the delegates who are the members of General Council elected by the constituencies at which the Annual Reports and statement of audited accounts shall be submitted and Executive Committee for the ensuing year elected and other business of the Union shall be transacted followed by an open session consisting of all general members and fraternal delegates.
- Fifteen days’ notice shall be necessary for holding the Annual General Conference. One third of the executive members present shall form the quorum and if the prescribed quorum is not present, the meeting shall be adjourned for three days and in the adjourned meeting, no quorum shall be required.
- The President of the conference shall have a casting vote in case of equality of votes. The retiring Executive Committee shall hand over the charges to the newly elected committee within 15 days from the date of formation of the newly constituted body.
12. Dissolution :
The Union shall not be dissolved except by the decision of the majority of General Council Members assembled at a meeting specially called for the purpose with a clear notice of 30 days. The quorum for the meeting shall be four/fifths of the total number of the General Council members of the Union. This meeting shall also decide in what manner the funds of the Union, after dissolution, if any, after meeting all the liabilities shall be disposed off. After the meeting, dissolving the Union, but within fourteen days from the date thereof, a notice be sent to the Registrar of Trade Unions of dissolution in the form prescribed under the Indian Trade Union Act, 1926, and the dissolution shall not have effect until the same has been registered and a certificate of dissolution has been obtained from the Registrar.
(AJOY BISWAS, MP)
ONGC WORKERS’ UNION
TRIPURA PROJECT: AGARTALA